13A. This section of JFC-R.1 (number 13A) applies to high school students only.
High School - Possession of Electronic or Cellular Communication Devices and Smart Watches
Students may possess Electronic and Cellular Communication Devices and Smart Watches on Tazewell County Public Schools (TCPS) property and at sponsored activities. The information that follows establishes:
• A set of guidelines for proper use of the devices.
• Disciplinary actions for violation of the guidelines.
• A (TCPS) agreement form provided by the student's home school administration for parents and students to sign prior to the administration granting approval for use of the devices established in this Policy.
1. Students may possess or house electronic or cellular communication devices on school property during the operational hours of the regular school day.
2. Use is permitted during non-instructional times - prior to the beginning of class, after class, during breaks, at lunch, and after dismissal from school.
3. Ear-buds or head phones may be used with the exception that one ear be uncovered while moving through hallways during class changes.
4. Device(s) may be housed in lockers or remain in the student's possession.
5. Teachers have broad discretion on the control of communication devices in their classrooms:
• Device(s) may be used for instructional purposes at the discretion of the teacher, provided instructional use is written into the teacher's lesson plan, and with permission of the administration.
6. At no time will communication devices be used to take pictures, videos, or audio recordings without school administrator approval:
• Anytime during the instructional school day.
• In bathrooms or dressing rooms (physical education or athletic).
• On any form of TCPS transportation.
7. Communication devices will not be permitted in any testing environment.
8. Electrical access for charging communication devices is not the responsibility of TCPS.
9. All communication devices will be silenced:
• During the school day.
• In student lockers.
• On any form of TCPS transportation.
10. No Tolerance - Dissemination of information via audio recordings, pictures, or videos that results in student conflict, school disruption, and/or involvement of law enforcement.
11. Tazewell County Public Schools will assume no financial restitution or replacement responsibility under any circumstance for the loss, theft, or damage of a student's personal Electronic Communication or Cellular Device, Smart Watch, or peripheral devices used with any device on TCPS property or at TCPS sponsored activity or event.
Disciplinary Actions for Misuse of Personal Electronic or Cellular Communication Devices and Smart Watches
Less Severe Offenses - Device used during instructional time, device sound or vibration that disrupts class, using someone else's device without permission, wearing both earbuds or headphones in hallway during class changes, and displaying disrespectful attitude when being corrected for violating agreement and policy.
1st Offense: Contact parent and conference with student regarding guidelines and agreement.
2nd Offense: Administration confiscation of device, notify parent, and relinquish to parent.
3rd Offense: Administration confiscation of device, notify parent, relinquish to parent, and one (1) day in-school suspension.
4th Offense: Administration confiscation of device, notify parent, relinquish to parent, and three (3) day in-school suspension.
5th Offense: Administration confiscation of device, notify parent, relinquish to parent, and five (5) days at the TCPS Placement
6th Offense: Considered an act of defiance resulting in loss of privilege to possess device on TCPS property, parent notification,
and relinquishing of device to parent. Refer to Tazewell County School Board Policy Regulation JFC-R.1 B,
number 3 under Minor Classroom Disturbances -- 3rd Offense: Offenses become significant; and the definition for
Significant Classroom Disturbances under number 2 -- Students shall not engage in conduct that is or is intended to
be disruptive of any school activity, function or process of the school or is dangerous to the health or safety of
students or others. Acts which cause substantial disruption of learning opportunities and/or threaten the safety of
other students that include multiple minor offenses, profanity, obscenity, vulgarity, and disrespect.
Severe Offenses - Dissemination of information in any format including, but not limited to, Social Media transmitted via electronic or other cellular device (including Smart Watches or other Smart technology) that results in student conflict, school disruption, and/or involvement of law enforcement.
1st Offense: Loss of privilege to possess device on TCPS property and five (5) day out-of-school suspension.
2nd Offense: Ten (10) day out-of-school suspension.
3rd Offense: Ten (10) day out-of-school suspension with recommendation TCPS School Board Disciplinary Committee for long
term suspension up to 45 days or expulsion of 365 days.